[Marble-devel] Hillshading server

Konrad Enzensberger e.konrad at mpegcode.com
Wed Aug 31 11:56:32 UTC 2011

Hi Dennis,

all i know about is that they use alpha channel
for hillshading.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Hillshading_using_the_Alpha_Channel_of_an_Image

but they are prepared with GeoTiffs which is not the way you should go.
Best way in my opinion:
creating alpha channel png's from NASA srtm elevation data source.

see this :
http://gitorious.org/alpha-hillshading
they use some phyton scripts and libs from the gdal project to create
png's from srtm data.

if you could porting this phyton to C++ it would be a great feature,

konrad