[Marble-devel] Commercial use ?

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Mon Aug 22 08:11:38 UTC 2011

On Monday, 22. August 2011 09:42:37 M.Ozeau wrote:
> Any help ?
> 2011/8/5 M.Ozeau <m.ozeau at gmail.com>
> > Does the MarbleWidget is usable in a commercial Qt Application  ?

Yes, it's possible to use the MarbleWidget in a commercial application. There
are some rules that you have to stick to: Marble is licensed under the LGPL,
so the major points that you have to respect altogether are:

1.) if you make modifications to the Marble libary then you have to always
release those changes to the Marble library under a free software license that
is compatible with the LGPL (you can do this best by contributing patches to
the Marble team).

2.) if your application is a proprietary closed source application then it
needs to use MarbleWidget in a way so that the user can exchange the Marble
library later on to a more recent version. You can easily fullfil this rule by
linking dynamically against the Marble library. If you decide to link
statically then you must provide the object files (we don't recommend this).

3.) for commercial development you can also create proprietary plugins that
use the Marble plugin interface.

I've also just recently answered a similar question on this mailing list:

http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/marble-devel/2011-August/002311.html

Hope this helps :-)

Best Regards,
Torsten

PS: I'm not very familiar with the Windows OS, so I can't answer your question
regarding that one. But I guess there are others who might do :-)