[Marble-devel] hillshading

Konrad Enzensberger e.konrad at mpegcode.com
Thu Aug 11 12:07:35 UTC 2011

Hello marble dev team,

i like to ask you some questions about marblewidget.
This week i compiled current marblewidget code and after
starting my app i faced new behavior regarding the hillshading task.

If i now switch on hillshading layer, the hillshade is not displayed
as fast as it was before.
Also you can see a short time a grey map window, looks like some flickering,
tested with osm map.

With my last version, switching on/off hillshading was fast and smoothly,
the changed behavior must be happend anytime between 16.07. and today .

Maybe this problem is based on changed code in StackedTileLoder.cpp, because
additional i faced following problem:

using the osm map, switched on the hillshading layer and zoomed the map to
zoomlevel 14 (osm zoom level) sometimes i see havy cpu usage - without doing anythig
on the map/gui.
Debugging the code i see running an endless loop, the StackedTileLoader::update()
methode was called again and again.
This happens because the needsUpdate member varable is allway set to true -
even though i did no zoom/scroll ?!

At last i like to ask you to give me a developement hint:
i would like to have a dimmer mode, this mode should darken the map window.
I implemented code similar to sunshading , it works but is not fast enough
to be able to change dimming value (with QSlider) seamless ((see attached screenshot).
What would you suggest to do to have a dimmer ?

thanks for supporting, best regards, konrad

p.s. congratulations to your valuable work - marblewidget is a really fantastic lib !!