[Marble-devel] Linker problem with Qt Widget version of marble

Amit Chaudhuri amit.k.chaudhuri at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 09:39:15 CEST 2011

Hi all,

working with the latest stable version of Marble (downloaded within last
week) I can get a widget into designer and compile a simple mainwindow app
with marble positioned on the widget.

However it will not run, giving

error while loading shared libraries: libmarblewidget.so.11: cannot open

When setting out I used:

cmake -DQTONLY=OFF -DWITH_DESIGNER_PLUGIN=ON ../marble

from the build directory and had few issues reported.  It clearly found
elements KDE 4.4.4 on my openSUSE 11.3 system but could not find gpsd
(although this is actually in /usr/sbin) or libgps (actually in libgps19 in
/usr/lib64) so it failed to build one module which I suspect I don't need
for my usage.

Using cmake install created an install manifest which records
libmarblewidget.so as being installed in /usr/local/lib64/libmarblewidget.so
something I confirm by navigation & ls.

I can run marble from the command line - and it reports 1.0.2 latest stable
and refers to KDE4.4.4

So I am a bit stumped on why the plugin doesn't play nice.

My .pro file contains the default lines Qt Creator supplied + the following
manual additions

INCLUDEPATH += /usr/local/include/marble
LIBS += -L/usr/local/lib64 -lmarblewidget

Main question: any idea what I'm doing wrong to cause the link failure?

Secondary question: will the failure to build gpsd dependent items prevent
basic map usage (e.g. where gps is not a feature of my current thinking)?

Regards,

Amit