[Marble-devel] Re: Show GPS Position in MarbleWidget

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Sat Apr 2 08:11:20 CEST 2011

Hi,

> > I am fairly new to Marble, as I have only been working with it for a
> > couple of days. What I am currently doing is using the MarbleWidget in a
> > QML file as a part of an application. For this purpose, I have wrapped
> > the MarbleWidget in a class inheriting from QGraphicsProxyWidget in
> > order to register this class as a new QML type. All the configuration I
> > needed to do (e.g. setShowCrosshairs(false)) is done in the constructor
> > of said wrapper class. Up to here everything went well.
>
> it would be great if you could use our experimental QML support for
> that. The plugin we provide (shipped with Marble 1.0 and later) provides
> a MarbleWidget usable in QML and some more stuff. See
> http://edu.kde.org/marble/current.php at the bottom of the website.
> We're interested in pushing this further, so feedback is very welcome
> (use cases, missing features/methods etc).

Yes, our QML bindings are definetely the way to go here. And we'd love to see
any further patches that extend them :-)
 Nevertheless I just wanted to add that if you still find reasons to use
Marble inside a graphics view I highly recommend to use MarbleMap inside a
graphics view and to create your own ready-made graphics item based on that.
Usage of QGraphicsProxyWidget is generally considered "problematic" (due to
performance issues and other problems it creates). So it's usually not
recommended.

Best Regards,