[Marble-devel] Re: Suggested Patch for Bug 232098 - JJ: Please add fast adding messurment points by ctrl+click

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Tue Sep 28 23:12:47 CEST 2010

On Tirsdag den 28. september 2010, Thomas Lenarz wrote:
> A solution I could think of is to introduce something like a
> "current-mode" represented by a set of radiobutton-style menu-items
> either in one of the drop-down menus or/and the right-click context-menu
> which determines what the modifier-key + Left-Mouse-Click does.
>
> Meaning: If you would like to use the measure-tool for a long track, do
> a mouse-right-click for the context-menu, switch from "selection-mode"
> to "measure-tool-mode" by selecting the appropriate menu-item. This
> should be highlighted with a radiobutton-style marker.
>  From now on you may use CTRL Left-Mouse-Click to measure.

i use a (sea) navigation application named opencpn, where i can just press F4
to activate measuring mode. ESC will cancel and go back to normal. Opencpn
have a very simpel measure system, just a click, and moving the mouse will
show a rubber band to the point, with a direction and distance. A special
cursor is indicating that the mode is active. Leaving the mode will dismiss
the information. I find that very convenient to use, while I would like the
ability to have multiple points (I have to create a route for that, which is
not harder but does not go away by itself).

So I like the idea of a "measure mode" - but why not just have each click
insert a measure point, and have an action for getting back to normal (or use
a toggle action)? I also think that using a special cursor is a nice and easy
way to indicate the mode.

--
Venlig hilsen,
Anders