[Marble-devel] altitude profiles

Niko Sams niko.sams at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 23:02:54 CEST 2010

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 22:21, Bernhard Beschow
<bbeschow at cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> <snip>
>
>> > See above. I guess it would be cool if eventually we'd store the srtm data in
>> > the map data directory as tiles. Currently we are kind of doing this already
>> > for the Atlas theme which contains coarse SRTM data already.
>>
>> For the OpenGL mode, I need a high-bandwidth solution which delivers height information for arbitrary geo coordinates. Perhaps we should have a deeper look into option #3?
>
> I've started an initial implementation for altitude calculation here [1]. The implementation has still some issues, in paticular the name of the class is very bad and there is no support for interpolation yet. However, it's a first start.
>
> Since the current SRTM resolution is about 1km and there seem to be no SRTM tile servers yet, perhaps we could provide high-resolution tiles ourselvs?

As already written the original files SRTM are tiles with up to 2MB,
we could just use them directly
without the need for our own server. Reading the files could be done
using nasagrid[1].

[1] http://blog.firetree.net/2006/08/23/nasa-srtm-elevation-data/

Niko