[Marble-devel] altitude profiles

Niko Sams niko.sams at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 11:48:12 CEST 2010

Hi,

I'd like to implement altitude profiles and would like to do a bit of
brainstorming beforehand.

* it should be an overlay widget showing the graph
* it should read data either from a GPX file (if avaliable) or use
locally avaliable SRTM data.
  using a webservice might also be an option, but I haven't found a good one yet
* it should calculate statistics like total incline/decline
* it should be available for opened tracks and routing tracks

UI issues:
Where to choose the track to display?
- gpx files can contain multiple tracks, currently all are shown
- what happens if a track is opened and a route is shown
Maybe a combobox where the track can be choosen

Implementation issues:
* a new plugin that adds a info box like Routing does
* data available in the track can be read from GeoDataCoordinates and displayed
* where to store altitudes that the plugin needs to figure out itself?

Niko