[Marble-devel] Printed directions footer line

Michael G. Hansen mike at mghansen.de
Wed Sep 8 20:58:42 CEST 2010

On 09/05/2010 11:11 AM, Dennis Nienhüser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> while working on the printing of driving instructions, I'm wondering
> whether we should include a footer line (I think yes) and what to state
> there. I think a reference to the data's license should be there, e.g.
>
> "OpenRouteService data can be used freely under the terms of the
> Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/OpenStreetMap_License>."
>
> Popular map services also state some warnings (see below for examples).
> Advising users to do reality checks (Yahoo) sounds silly to me, but
> warning of differences to the plan because of e.g. traffic makes sense.
>
> A more complete footer line for Marble may look like this then:
>
> "The driving instructions may be incomplete or inaccurate. Construction
> projects, traffic and other circumstances can cause differences. Driving
> instructions were generated by OpenRouteService and can be used freely
> under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0
> license<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/OpenStreetMap_License>.
> The Marble development team wishes a pleasant and safe journey.
> http://edu.kde.org/marble"
>
> Sounds a bit clunky. Suggestions? :-)

 From a users perspective, it would be nice to be able to switch these
warnings off to save space. I have a TomTom and it often bugs me with
'Don't use me while driving, don't rely on me too much, and such, hit
continue to continue', so being able to avoid all the legal talk would
be a huge benefit of open source software ;-) Or at least being able to
switch to a short 'Directions powered by OpenRouteService - CC-BY-SA 2.0'.

For comparison, Okular also respects DRM restrictions in PDF files by
default, but there is a checkbox to make it ignore these.

Michael