[Marble-devel] Printed directions footer line

Dennis Nienhüser earthwings at gentoo.org
Sun Sep 5 11:11:11 CEST 2010

Hi,

while working on the printing of driving instructions, I'm wondering
whether we should include a footer line (I think yes) and what to state
there. I think a reference to the data's license should be there, e.g.

"OpenRouteService data can be used freely under the terms of the
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/OpenStreetMap_License>."

Popular map services also state some warnings (see below for examples).
Advising users to do reality checks (Yahoo) sounds silly to me, but
warning of differences to the plan because of e.g. traffic makes sense.

A more complete footer line for Marble may look like this then:

"The driving instructions may be incomplete or inaccurate. Construction
projects, traffic and other circumstances can cause differences. Driving
instructions were generated by OpenRouteService and can be used freely
under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0
license <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/OpenStreetMap_License>.
The Marble development team wishes a pleasant and safe journey.
http://edu.kde.org/marble"

Sounds a bit clunky. Suggestions? :-)

Regards,
Dennis

Example footer lines:

Google Maps (USA)
============
These directions are for planning purposes only. You may find that
construction projects, traffic, weather, or other events may cause
conditions to differ from the map results, and you should plan your
route accordingly. You must obey all signs or notices regarding your route.
Map data ©2010 Google

Yahoo Maps (USA)
============
When using any driving directions or map, it's a good idea to do a
reality check and make sure the road still exists, watch out for
construction, and follow all traffic safety precautions. This is only to
be used as an aid in planning.

Bings Maps (USA)
These directions are subject to the Microsoft®: Service Agreement and
for informational purposes only. No guarantee is made regarding their
completeness or accuracy. Construction projects, traffic, or other
events may cause actual conditions to differ from these results. Map and
traffic data © 2009 NAVTEQ™, AND™.