[Marble-devel] Marble + Intergeo 2010

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Thu Sep 2 12:41:02 CEST 2010

Hi,

We'd like to show off our Free Software project Marble
(http://edu.kde.org/marble) at the Intergeo 2010 in Cologne between October
5-7, 2010 (see http://www.fossgis.de/wiki/Intergeo_2010/Vortragsprogramm ).

Title and Abstract are provided in English below (a German translation will
follow).
We intend to give the presentation in German though.

Best Regards,

Torsten

Title: Marble -- A Virtual Globe for People

Speaker: Torsten Rahn

Marble is a Free Software Virtual Globe for People:

For users Marble is an educational Globe and World Atlas that you can use to
learn more about Earth: You can pan and zoom around and you can look up places
and roads. A mouse click and marble provides a wealth of geographic
information: Thematic maps, different projections and integration with
Wikipedia allow for a wide range of studies at home or at school. Thanks to
the OpenStreetMap integration and thanks to Routing support Marble is also
ready to help you finding your way through the world.

For application developers Marble is a light weight generic geographical map
component for use in Qt 4.x / C++ applications. It is provided as a library, a
QWidget and a KDE 4 KPart and hence can easily get integrated with KDE 4 or Qt
4 applications. As such it has been used in numerous applications already.

We'll present the latest features that are going to be added to Marble in the
upcoming version. As such we'll demonstrate the latest improvements in terms
of GSoC 2010.