[Marble-devel] [OSM-dev] NOTICE: gazetteer.osm.org being retired

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 20:36:03 CEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 7:05 PM, Jonathan Bennett <
openstreetmap at jonno.cix.co.uk> wrote:

>  On 01/09/2010 15:14, Torsten Rahn wrote:
>
>> And I doubt that OSM contributors
>> see openstreetmap.org as a  nice limited "Demo Version" of what a true
>> Free
>> Mapping portal could look like.
>>
> Actually, that's precisely what I see it as.

Well, Jonathan, I think you are wrong. In a recent user survey, the features
that got the most number of votes were routing, adding a scale to the map,
clickable PoIs and better searching. Apart from clickable PoIs, those are
all features you will find on mainstream mapping sites.

As for the budgets of OSMF and Wikimedia-F: A large component of that are
event, travel and salary related (conferences, setting up chapters and so
on). Furthermore, it's easy to convince donors to donate hardware because
it's easy to check that it's not being misappropriated.

[1] http://osm.uservoice.com/forums/41047-general