[Marble-devel] [OSM-dev] NOTICE: gazetteer.osm.org being retired

Chris Browet cbro at semperpax.com
Wed Sep 1 17:41:55 CEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 17:18, Nic Roets <nroets at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Chris Browet <cbro at semperpax.com> wrote:
>

>>> While I'd completely agree in a business world, don't forget we are FLOSS
>> developers working on software in our free time.
>>
>> We don't (at least I don't, and I doubt Marble has) have "a server". OSMF
>> do.
>> Just put a big red sticker on the wiki saying "ABSOLUTELY DO NOT USE OUR
>> WEB SERVICES, SETUP YOUR OWN!", then...
>>

> Just because OSMF, KDE and all the little projects are a non-profit, does
> not mean they cannot raise money. Last time OSMF raised money for hardware,
> the target was reached in 2 days.
>
> And it makes sense to have a few central servers serving many projects. Not
> only does it simplify things like applying patches and performance tuning,
> but the planet diffs also has a certain amount of fixed processing to them.
> All you do is form an association and pool the donations you receive.
>
> And we know that the service will not be swamped overnight by Google users
> or some other large site. Those large commercial companies have high
> standards, even for their free products. Our data is not good enough and
> they will loose too many users if the site gets overloaded.
>
> And while this discussion has been about searching (geocoding) it also
> applies to routing. For $12 a day you can rent a pretty nice server.

Ok, now I'm in the fouth dimension....

You'd want me to spend $12 a day to provide geolocalisation for an OSM
editor (if you didn't read the thread, I remind you I'm speaking of
Merkaartor)!!??

I really don't understand OSM anymore...
When all was needed was "Sorry, guys, we'll try to plan our
servers redeployment a bit more in advance and inform you, including service
closure"...

I assume the position regarding Nominatim is the same, so I might as well
remove support for it, as it could close anytime. Still wondering why it
exists, then...

- Chris -