[Marble-devel] [OSM-dev] NOTICE: gazetteer.osm.org being retired

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 16:25:31 CEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Torsten Rahn <tackat at t-online.de> wrote:

> But I think there should be an aim to introduce some place where I can look
> up
> which services/Urls etc. are considered stable and supported and which are
> considered experimental or deprecated. And I think that it should be the
> aim
> of OSM to have a proper deprecation process. :-)

I don't think OSM provides any services that the public should consider
"stable" in the sense of "99.999% uptime, transaction guaranteed or your
money back". The closest might be the API server, but even that could
possibly go down as has been described before.

OSM is about the data itself, not the services around it. The services
available on the website and wiki are there because someone thought it would
be a nice way to help debug or otherwise improve mapping and map data
quality, not to provide a service to external users like KDE, Microsoft,
Google or anyone for that matter.

The bottom line is: if you want a stable service, run it yourself. That's
why the data is under a relatively free and open license.