[Marble-devel] [OSM-dev] NOTICE: gazetteer.osm.org being retired

Chris Browet cbro at semperpax.com
Wed Sep 1 17:02:40 CEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 16:25, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Torsten Rahn <tackat at t-online.de> wrote:
>
>> But I think there should be an aim to introduce some place where I can
>> look up
>> which services/Urls etc. are considered stable and supported and which are
>> considered experimental or deprecated. And I think that it should be the
>> aim
>> of OSM to have a proper deprecation process. :-)
>

> I don't think OSM provides any services that the public should consider
> "stable" in the sense of "99.999% uptime, transaction guaranteed or your
> money back". The closest might be the API server, but even that could
> possibly go down as has been described before.

In our "free and open" world, I think stable is not about uptime but about
perennity, i.e., even if the server crashes, it will be there again, be it
in 1 day, 1 week or 1 month.

> OSM is about the data itself, not the services around it. The services
> available on the website and wiki are there because someone thought it would
> be a nice way to help debug or otherwise improve mapping and map data
> quality, not to provide a service to external users like KDE, Microsoft,
> Google or anyone for that matter.
>
> Not even to OSM data editors? For whom, then? Why even announce that
gazetteer was going down...
Remember the thread is not about the quality of the services provided by
OSMF, just that the notice was too short...

If some services are just sandboxes and not meant to be used, please make it
clear, and this is what Torsten means by "[a place to] look up which
services/Urls etc. are considered stable and supported and which are
considered experimental or deprecated", I think.