[Marble-devel] [OSM-dev] NOTICE: gazetteer.osm.org being retired

Chris Browet cbro at semperpax.com
Wed Sep 1 15:07:04 CEST 2010

> > > Is there a low traffic OSM announcement list that provides
> announcements
> > > like these for people who rely on OpenStreetMap services?
> > there is an announce list, but for development announcements like this
> > one, this dev list is the best place.
>
> Well, I just browsed through the announce list and to be honest I think the
> deprecation of a public API really should have been announced there a year
> ago
> if it was already obvious that it would get discontinued.
> Personally I'd say it should be good practice to announce the deprecation
> half
> a year before shutdown of the service on osm-announce.
>
> I'm afraid I must agree on that (at least 3 months, I'd say, not 2 weeks
for sure)

Merkaartor was using gazetteer  for 1+ year and I only learned of it being
closed down by casually browsing the dev list.
Now, name search on 0.16.x which is going to be included in the newest
Fedora and Debian won't work :-(

As far as I'm concerned, I even didn't know about nominatim, nor the fact
that gazetteer was so behind on updates. I'm afraid there is a communication
channel missing somewhere...

- Chris -