[Marble-devel] Marble and OSGeo

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Fri Oct 8 15:41:51 CEST 2010

Hi,

During the last two days Bastian Host and me have presented Marble at the
OSGeo (http://www.osgeo.org) booth of the InterGeo fair
(http://www.intergeo.de). The topic of active participation in OSGeo and OSGeo
incubation came up again.

I think that Marble should enter the OSGeo incubation process

http://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/application.html

Compared to other OSGeo projects the difference with Marble is that we already
have an umbrella project: KDE.

KDE is already hosting our infrastructure and I feel that KDE is a great match
in terms of support in terms of getting the cause of Free Software, KDE/Qt
usage and Educational applications (via KDE EDU) pushed. And I don't want to
see this changed.

However Marble also promotes the usage of free geo data and its goals have
shifted way beyond the pure educational aspect.
 As such I feel that we are completely in line with the goals of osgeo.org
regarding the Free Geographical Data aspect and the cause of Free Geographical
Software.

So I feel that active OSGeo.org participation and membership in addition to
the KDE membership would have a few advantages for the Marble project as well
as for the OSGeo project. In fact I think that this step is long overdue
already.

So I plan to apply for incubation via answering the questions linked above.
Any comments, suggestions, concerns? :-)

Best Regards,