[Marble-devel] Re: altitude profiles

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Sun Oct 3 19:51:20 CEST 2010

Am Sonntag, 3. Oktober 2010 16:54:16 schrieb Niko Sams:
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 20:20, Bernhard Beschow
>
> <bbeschow at cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
> > If you're looking for a conversion tool, there is gdal, which should be
> > part of your distribution. To convert a single file, issue:
> >
> > gdal_translate -ot UInt16 -of GIF SRTM_fB03_n051e013.tif
> > SRTM_fB03_n051e013.gif
> >
> > Note that converting to PNG didn't deliver correct results for me. Gdal
> > also provides a retiling utility, which I didn't try, though.
>
> I successfully converted the file to a 16 Bit PNG (gif doesn't support 16
> bit). But I can't read it with QImage as that doesn't support 16 Bit.
> So I think using TileLoader and TextureTile is problematic - or do you
> know a way
> to solve this issue?

IIRC originally we had TextureTile inheriting from AbstractTile (which is
still in the source tree from what I can see). Nowadays just StackedTile
inherits from AbstractTile.

Maybe you could create a DemTile (DEM = DigitalElevationModel) that inherits
from AbstractTile and have the TileLoader deal with AbstractTiles?

You could also ask Jens-Michael who is more familiar with the TileLoader /
TextureTile code.

Best Regards,

Torsten