[Marble-devel] Re: KDE Geolocation Services

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Nov 3 22:41:34 CET 2010

On Wednesday, 2010-11-03, John Layt wrote:
> [Apologies for the cross-post, but I'd like feedback from app developers on
> their requirements too, not just core]
>
> Hi,
>
> This weekend the Marble devs are meeting for a sprint, and I'm tagging
> along to discuss a few different issues that I'd like peoples feedback and
> opinions on.
>
> The big one is Geolocation services, which more and more apps are making
> use of, but which we don't have a central KDE way of accessing, which is
> leading to each app implementing it themselves.
>
> The obvious backend solution is Geoclue, a freedesktop.org project which is
> available on almost all distro's now, is used by Gnome, and is an official
> part of the Meego platform.  The problem comes in the api to access
> Geoclue, which is a DBus based service with C bindings, as we would
> obviously prefer a Qt-ish C++ wrapper for convenience.

What kind of problem do you have in mind regarding a service with a D-Bus API?
There are already tons of these and they are using D-Bus as the primary API
exactly because it allows developers on different technology stacks to use
their preferred way of handling the protocol.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring