[Marble-devel] HOWTO (in progress) - build a libmarble application on windows with Qt Creator, MinGW, CMake

Dennis Nienhüser earthwings at gentoo.org
Fri May 21 21:56:36 CEST 2010

Hi Sylvain,

On 21.05.2010 17:48, Sylvain Paré wrote:
> Yeah!!
> I works!
> Enfin... not completly..
> I mean I succeed to build and launch my libmarblewidget dependent
> application without error/crash (at least not depending on marble :) )!!
> So here the trick : "mingw32-make *release*" !
> the release build does not return error when we launch it!

Both debug and release builds work for me, none of them too reliable
though. Sometimes crashing right at start, sometimes later, sometimes never.

> But!
>
> The marble widget in my app is just a black rectangle where right and
> left clicks work as usual ( contextual menu etc)
> Like with the standalone marble application => NO map! instead of
> being blue it is black...
> I think it is normal as it does not work in marble itself.
> So again : ANYONE having a clue??

Did you set a valid map theme on the MarbleWidget in your application?

> One other thing :
> marble's widget do not show in Qt designer while the make install
> stage did copy
> libMarbleWidgetPlugin.dll,  libMarbleNavigatorPlugin.dll and
> libLatLonEditPlugin.dll
> in C:\Qt\2010.02.1\qt\plugins\designer.
> (I added this path in Qtdesign even if it is a bit dumb but widgets
> still missing)
> I don't know why..
> So for the Qt creator integration it is not stil here.

The libmarblewidget.dll and any other dependent dlls must be accessible
for QtCreator as well. Otherwise QtCreator/QtDesigner will get missing
symbols when loading the designer plugin and silently ignore it. When
you launch marble.exe, its dependent dlls are accessible for it because
they lie in the same folder. That's not the case for QtCreator/QtDesigner.

> Anyway step two, building a libmarblewidget application passed!
> Here is the way (i will not put it on the techbase untill I don't see
> openstreetmap map in my app):
Probably none of the plugins are loaded. Check the settings menu, any
plugins listed there? If the qnam networking plugin is not loaded, OSM
downloads don't happen and the map appears just blue (tile downloading
always fails).

Regards,
Dennis