[Marble-devel] HOWTO (in progress) - build a libmarble application on windows with Qt Creator, MinGW, CMake

Sylvain Paré sylvain.pare at gmail.com
Mon May 10 19:37:41 CEST 2010

Hello every one,

As I told it some times ago I am trying to build my application using
libmarble on windows(xp) with Qt Creator.
I will post here all the whole process and problems encountered gradually.
You are welcome to help me to solves those issues if you have answers! :)

At last when the work-through will be found, I will sum it up here as a
proposal for an HOWTO on the KDE Techbase.

So here is the beginning until the first blocking point :

First build Marble:

   - installation of Qt sdk
2010.02.1<http://get.qt.nokia.com/qtsdk/qt-sdk-win-opensource-2010.02.1.exe>(Qt
Creator 1.3.1 Qt 4.6.2 MinGW 3.15 GCC4.4.0)
   - installation CMAKE
2.8.1<http://www.cmake.org/files/v2.8/cmake-2.8.1-win32-x86.exe>,
during the installation check the box " Add CMake to the system"
   - following this http://edu.kde.org/marble/obtain.php => svn co marble;
   create 'marble-build' dir in the new checked out folder
   - as explained
here<http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qtcreator-1.1/creator-cmake-support.html>import
the marble\CMakeLists.txt passing "-DQTONLY=ON ../" argument
   - you obtain this message error :

CMake Error: CMake was unable to find a build program corresponding to
"MinGW Makefiles".  CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM is not set.  You probably need to
select a different build tool.
CMake Error: CMake was unable to find a build program corresponding to
"MinGW Makefiles".  CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM is not set.  You probably need to
select a different build tool.
CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be
not be built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_C_COMPILER_ENV_VAR
CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be
not be built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_C_COMPILER
CMake Error: Could not find cmake module
file:D:/marbleSVN/marble-build/CMakeFiles/CMakeCCompiler.cmake
CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be
not be built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_ENV_VAR
CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be
not be built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER
CMake Error: Could not find cmake module
file:D:/marbleSVN/marble-build/CMakeFiles/CMakeCXXCompiler.cmake
CMake Error: CMAKE_C_COMPILER not set, after EnableLanguage
CMake Error: CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER not set, after EnableLanguage

   - I haven't found yet how to solve this (i.e indicate to CMake the path
   of MinGW, I set an environment variable but it did not fix this.. if you
   have the answer.) properly so I just copy/paste C:\Qt\2010.02.1\mingw  to
   C:\mingw
   - now when you retry to import your cmake project in Qt Creator you have
   this error :

-- The C compiler identification is unknown

-- The CXX compiler identification is unknown

-- Check for working C compiler: C:/mingw/bin/gcc.exe

-- Check for working C compiler: C:/mingw/bin/gcc.exe -- broken

CMake Error at C:/Program Files/CMake
2.8/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeTestCCompiler.cmake:52 (MESSAGE):

The C compiler "C:/mingw/bin/gcc.exe" is not able to compile a simple
testprogram.

It fails with the following output: Change Dir:
D:/marbleSVN/marble-build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

  Run Build Command:C:/mingw/bin/mingw32-make.exe "cmTryCompileExec/fast"

C:/mingw/bin/mingw32-make.exe -f CMakeFiles\cmTryCompileExec.dir\build.make

CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/build

mingw32-make.exe[1]: Entering directory

`D:/marbleSVN/marble-build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'

"C:\Program Files\CMake 2.8\bin\cmake.exe" -E cmake_progress_report

D:\marbleSVN\marble-build\CMakeFiles\CMakeTmp\CMakeFiles 1

Building C object CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj

C:\mingw\bin\gcc.exe -o CMakeFiles\cmTryCompileExec.dir\testCCompiler.c.obj

-c D:\marbleSVN\marble-build\CMakeFiles\CMakeTmp\testCCompiler.c

mingw32-make.exe[1]: ***

[CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj] Error 1

mingw32-make.exe[1]: Leaving directory

`D:/marbleSVN/marble-build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'

mingw32-make.exe: *** [cmTryCompileExec/fast] Error 2

   CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.

Call Stack (most recent call first):

CMakeLists.txt:1 (project)

So here where I am!

If any one can help...

I will continue to search a solution tomorrow

CU

Sylvain (aka GarthPS)