[Marble-devel] Two more wishes for routing

Dennis Nienhüser earthwings at gentoo.org
Fri May 7 18:57:23 CEST 2010

Hi Arnd,

On 07.05.2010 07:49, Arnd Baecker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been using the new routing possibilities quite a bit now,
> and they work really well!

great, thanks again for the testing and feedback :)

> One thing which would be nice is to add a point to the end
> of the route. Currently one has to move the last point and
> (if necessary) add a via-point.
> Adding a point could for example be done via SHIFT+Mouseclick
> and the corresponding point is either added at the beginning
> or the end of the route (whatever is closest).
> Alternatively, though less convenient, this could be bound
> to the right-mouse-popup menu.

Indeed. Actually that's one of the things which always annoyed me quite
a lot in Google Maps, good thing you bring it up ;-)
Implemented in trunk, Ctrl felt more natural to me for some reason (do
we have guidelines on it? Found none). Please give it a try.

> And then there is something more complicated:
> when planning a tour, I commonly get into regions, where
> part of the ways are not yet in Openstreetmap
> (usually one of the reasons to go for a hike in that area ..;-).
> Now it would be nice to add via-points
> which are just connected by straight lines, i.e. without
> any routing done between them.
>  From the user-interface side, this could be done similar
> to the previous case, but for example on CTRL+Mouseclick.
> Technically the implementation is presumably a bit
> more involved, as it would mean to split the request for ORS
> into several parts and some book-keeping for which segments
> routing is done and which not.

Yes, that's not too easy to implement (judging by the additional amount
of count needed). I'll ask the ORS people first whether this isn't
something that could be handled by them more gracefully -- e.g. ignoring
faulty via points or including them with trivial connections as you
suggest. The former should be easier to implement on their side, the
latter probably requires some changes.

Regards,
Dennis