[Marble-devel] Creating maps for marble

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Mon Jun 21 18:04:34 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Monday 21 June 2010 17:38:01 Christophe Leske wrote:
> I got my installmap here, and it IS being shown on the globe, yet
> without tiles being created.

Well, if you see something on the globe then at least some tiles got created
successfully.

Unfortunately your uploaded screenshot only appears partially, so I can only
make guesses beyond that.

> I thought a big installmap would result in
> tiles being created, according to your blog?

Yes that should be the case.

> Also, the map shown on the Marble globe seems to be lower in resolution
> than my installmap,

Could you look into the directory

 ~/.local/share/marble/maps/earth

And verify whether there is a directory "3" created for your map theme.
And verify whether the tiles in there match the quality of your installmap.

> it show stronger compression artefacts.

Grayscale maps are saved at a compression of 70%.
Color maps are saved at a compression of 85%

See marble/src/lib/TileCreator.cpp, line 418 pp

> I've got a map of the NaturalEarth as a JPEG here in 10800 by 5400
> Pixels. It has sharp broders for the countries which have a seaside, yet
> on the globe, when zooming in, you can see JPEG compression artefacts.
>
> See here
> http://www.multimedial.de/share/Marble_vs_InstallMap.png

It's corrupted. :-/

Torsten