[Marble-devel] Error building marble

rbgjr rbgreenway at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 22:13:14 CEST 2010

Hello,

I'm new to marble, and somewhat of a linux novice, and have been trying to
build marble on my RHEL 5, 64-bit machine.  I'm actually looking to get the
the marble Widget that I can embed in a custom Qt application.

Here are the steps that I have executed:

1) retrieved the marble source: svn co svn://
anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/KDE/4.4/kdeedu/marble

this installed marble in a directory 'marble' inside my home directory.  I
then created a 'marble-build' directory (as instructed) that is parallel to
'marble'.

2) started following instructions on:
http://edu.kde.org/marble/obtain.php to build a Qt only application.

3) inside the marble-build directory, executed: cmake -DQTONLY=ON ../marble
 NOTE:  I had to install cmake (cmake-2.6.4-1.el5.rf RPM for x86_64)
downloaded from
http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/dag/redhat/el5/x86_64/cmake-2.6.4-1.el5.rf.x86_64.html

4) inside the marble-build directory, executed: make

The make executed through 79% of the build, then the following error
occurred:

  .
  .
[ 79%] Building CXX object src/lib/CMakeFiles/marblewidget.dir/qrc_marble.o
Linking CXX shared library libmarblewidget.so
/usr/lib/qt4/lib/libQtCore.so: could not read symbols: File in wrong format
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [src/lib/libmarblewidget.so.0.9.0] Error 1
make[1]: *** [src/lib/CMakeFiles/marblewidget.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!!

Bryan