[Marble-devel] make marblewidget kde QTONLY

Torsten Rahn rahn at kde.org
Sun Jan 24 15:42:06 CET 2010

Hi Kishore,

On Freitag 22 Januar 2010 17:20:12 Kishore wrote:
> I have a patch. See
> http://gitorious.org/marble/marble/commit/db5de886cc682443369d0864f41fd368b
> 088ae48

Neat -- even given that it still needs the improvements you mentioned.

> But i think it still needs work.. Currently, it uses applications path and
> hence each application that uses the widget would end up downloading map
> tiles etc. I am not sure if that is a good approach. I would definitely
> prefer that "light" applications that are just using the widget for
> convenience share their data.

Yes. All applications should usually share the same data path. Only exception
are the cases where an application would have it's own data that is
not meant to be used by other applications: e.g. because the map data
might be proprietary or because it simply might address a very very specific
need (like a Christmas tree ball software easter egg ;-).

> > change the default path at compile and runtime -- see the third section
> > here
> > http://edu.kde.org/marble/obtain.php
> Hmm.. Compile time options are not very helpful in this use case as the
> library binary is shared with many applications.

True.

> > MarbleDirs:
> >     static void MarbleDirs::setMarbleDataPath( const QString&
> >     adaptedPath);
> I don't remember very well now but i think the problem i recall with that
> was that i could then just not make use of any of the default plugins. In
> other words, i could not set multiple paths and there was a TODO for
> exactly that.

Indeed. So maybe you could extend the method to use a QStringList as a
parameter? :-)

> > I think there was a patch recently (during 0.9 development) committed
> > which did that.
> I have lost track recently and need to catch up on the current "state of
> the art". :) I will look into this.

Same here. We basically had a Marble break for a few weeks where very little
happened in terms of Marble development (pretty unusual compared to the last few
years where Marble was "ever-rolling").
Now it seems we are gaining momentum again and I need to catch up as well again

> > Don't have time to look at it right now. But I will have a look over the
> > weekend.
> Thanks. Hope you have nice weekend. :)

Same to you.

Best Regards,