[Marble-devel] MarbleWidget on Windows

Patrick Spendrin ps_ml at gmx.de
Thu Feb 4 19:28:43 CET 2010

Christophe Leske schrieb:
> Hi there,
>
> my name is Christophe Leske and I am a freelance Qt Developer based in
> Gummersbach. I would be very interested to get the marble widget
> compiled and going with QtCreator on the windows platform. I am using
> Qt 4.5.2.

Interesting would be the compiler, I guess you use the default one for
creator which is mingw gcc version 4.4.0. This shouldn't matter much
though, except that you can't mix, e.g. you need the same compiler for
marble as for your Qt package. This also means that you wouldn't have
much fun with the 0.8.0 version delivered in the self-installer Qt package.

> I searched the marble sites, yet there is very few information on how
> to build and/or install the marblewidget.dll for use with QtCreator.

Hm, I never have tried this yet.

> The one delivered in the Windows package (Marble 0.8.0 for Windows)
> does not install or load in QtCreator, despite the hint that the
> marblewidget.dll should be located in the PATH variable.

As described above it is not that easy: you can't really use the
marblewidget.dll from the binary installer as it uses Visual Studio EE 2008.

> I always get an error that the plugin could not get loaded.

Which plugin? Can you try to reproduce the exact message and post it here.
There are a couple of plugins needed for marble:
1) Qt plugins - under plugins/imageformats
2) Marble plugins - under plugins

You'll need all of them and especially they probably need to be in the
correct relative location to the binary (that is a Qt feature).

> Can someone point me to either a more recent or more complete tutorial or documentation about this?

Well, I think we can sort it even without documentation.

> Thank you very much,
>
> Christophe Leske

regards,
Patrick