[Marble-devel] [OSM-dev] NOTICE: gazetteer.osm.org being retired

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Tue Aug 31 00:46:11 CEST 2010

Hi,

Am Montag, 30. August 2010 22:05:59 schrieb Matt Amos:
> nominatim will continue to work and if someone were to write a
> forwarding service which talks namefinder protocol, it could provide a
> stop-gap.

Since we currently pretty much rely on namefinder such a wrapper could
possibly solve the issue :-)

> > Is there a low traffic OSM announcement list that provides announcements
> > like these for people who rely on OpenStreetMap services?
> there is an announce list, but for development announcements like this
> one, this dev list is the best place.

Well, I just browsed through the announce list and to be honest I think the
deprecation of a public API really should have been announced there a year ago
if it was already obvious that it would get discontinued.
Personally I'd say it should be good practice to announce the deprecation half
a year before shutdown of the service on osm-announce.

Best Regards,

Torsten