[Marble-devel] [Mockup] Configurable Route Profiles

Niko Sams niko.sams at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 19:26:00 CEST 2010

Hello,

> Could you describe a bit more in detail which use cases you are trying to
> address? Who is the target user of these kinds of settings?
> Shouldn't the routing plugin already indicate what capabilities there are?
Ok, my plan is to use marble for planning bicycle routes. The route depends
on the used bike (MTB vs. Race) and on other preferences (cycle routes
preferred vs.
fastest way). With the current Bicycle profile this is not possible.
Using routino it is possible to define custom transports and profiles
in an xml file - but
there is currently no way to choose between those in marble.

The issue with the current UI is that it can only provide options that
exist in all
routing plugins. OpenRouteService and YOURS both have a range of
different profiles
and options that are currently not usable from within marble. With
such an configuration
dialog advanced users can create custom profiles giving access to all features.

Other use for an router configuration is various settings for the
offline routers (paths to
data files etc). Although that could be implemented in a simpler UI as well.

Another way would be per-router-plugin options in the routing tab. But
that would make
the UI much more complicated for the average user.

> In Marble we always try to avoid configurability just for the sake of making it
> configurable. Therefore we should discuss/review this concept a bit.
yeah, that's why Marble is so easy to use...

> Also it would be nice if you could send the .ui file in addition to the
> screenshot (I assume there exists one).
attached. (three versions, my best one "mit-list-checkboxen-ohne-tabs.ui")

Niko