[Marble-devel] Review Request: New Icon for Photo Plugin

Bastian Holst bastianholst at gmx.de
Thu Apr 8 23:29:23 CEST 2010

Hi Gabriel,

Thanks for being interested in Marble Junior Jobs. I think the idea of the
Junior Job was quite different, but that shouldn't stop you from implementing
your idea.
We were thinking about the QIcon which is returned by WikipediaPlugin::icon()
to have an icon in the menu. For some reason someone moved this initialization
of the icon outside of the constructor of WikipediaPlugin, so the icon
dissappeared from the menu. [1] should fix this issue.
You seem to be thinking of the icon (Wikipedia or Photo) which is displayed on
the Photo itself or as a substitute to reduce network load, as it's done in
the Wikipedia code.

About your patch: What you have done seems like a good start, but I don't
think that it is needed to prerender this image. QIcon could take the svg
directly and I think (but I'm not sure), QIcon does this optimization itself.
Perhaps you could run some tests or look this up in the Qt documentation to
find out if I'm right. Additionally the caching of the ScreenGraphicsItem
should hold the system load down.
If this is not the case, please change the WikipediaPlugin, too.
Additionally my old code seems to be a bit easier to read, so this should be
preferred if there are minor or no speed differences.

Again thanks for your work!

Best regards
Bastian

[1] http://websvn.kde.org/?view=rev&revision=1112698