[Marble-devel] Marble FileStorageWatcher

Bastian Holst bastianholst at gmx.de
Sat Mar 7 18:08:48 CET 2009

Hi,

I work on a watcher for Marble which keeps track of the size of the
persistent/hard disk cache of Marble. I heard you are working on speeding up
downloads.
At the moment I have the following solution:
- I made a subclass of QThread watching the cache size.
- This Thread is run after the startup of marble, so it doesn't make it
slower. Then it measures the file size, this takes a lot of time (for my first
approach I didn't make a Thread, it took (for the first time) about 10 s, that
was to slow.
- Additionally I added slots (for adding [sending file name/(perhaps better
sending file size, file could be deleted again)] and removing files [sending file
size]). The corresponding signals are implemented as signals of StoragePolicy
and the implementations like FileStoragePolicy have to send it.
- Deleting files is another story.

Do you see any problem at this approach, especially making StoragePolicy a
QObject and adding signals.

Bastian Holst