[Marble-devel] Eigen

Torsten Rahn rahn at kde.org
Fri Jan 16 09:43:44 CET 2009

Hi Benoit,

On Wednesday 14 January 2009 00:47:35 Benoit Jacob wrote:
> So my questions are:
> - do you have plans to use Eigen?

Not at the moment. This could however very well change at some point after we
introduce OpenGL. So I don't expect that it's very likely that we introduce
Eigen as a dependency before KDE 4.3.
Currently all we need is already in our Quaternion class.

> I ask because you have e.g. a
> Quaternion implementation... if our Quaternion is missing stuff you
> need we sure can get it in.

Well, I looked at the Eigen version of the Quaternion class recently (in the
hope that I'd maybe be able to copy the class itself over). However it seems
to be deeply interwoven already with the rest of Eigen, so I didn't look much
further into it.

> - I don't know if Marble has more potential use cases for Eigen -- if
> this is all, then i could understand that you think it's not worth
> using eigen, although it's always good to have one class less to
> maintain.

Well, I feel reluctant to introduce a dependency on a new library just to
transfer maintainance of a class that we have barely changed recently.

The only thing that I'm interested in is getting an SSE/Altivec acceleration
of the method:

    void        Quaternion::rotateAroundAxis(const matrix &m);

However even for that one I'd rather like to copy over 2-5 classes than
linking against a whole new library.

Best regards,

Torsten