[Marble-devel] Making geoclue more desktop agnostic.

Henri Bergius henri.bergius at iki.fi
Fri Feb 27 14:21:04 CET 2009

Hi, Inge!

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Inge Wallin <inge at lysator.liu.se> wrote:
> So, I suggest to remove that dependency.  When I look through the sources, I
> can only find one setting, namely "/apps/geoclue/master" in load_options() in
> main.c. So I hereby offer to create a patch that will make Geoclue use a
> standard text file in /etc.  I assure you that such a change will make it
> much more attractive to non-gnome people, and maybe even add developers from
> other parts of the free software community.

I think this would make sense. GeoClue doesn't appear to use GConf
that much at the moment, and so changing it to a more generic method
should be straightforward. And later we can start using dconf
(http://live.gnome.org/dconf) if that materializes.

Another option to using an /etc file would be just removing the
configs. Jussi, any opinions?

...and if this means GeoClue becomes part of KDE too, the better :-) I
remember discussing some GeoClue usage possibilities in various Plasma
applications when I visited aKademy last summer
(http://bergie.iki.fi/blog/some_notes_from_akademy_2008/).

So, +1 from my point-of-view.

>        -Inge

/Henri

--
Henri Bergius
Motorcycle Adventures and Free Software

Skype: henribergius
Jabber: henri.bergius at gmail.com
Microblogs: http://bergie.jaiku.com/ http://twitter.com/bergie

Sent from: Helsinki Southern Finland Finland.