[Marble-devel] hi

Torsten Rahn rahn at kde.org
Fri Feb 6 15:17:07 CET 2009

Hi,

On Friday 06 February 2009 13:18:16 Shashank Singh wrote:
>    1. i can write my own api and parser or
>    2. use existing solutions like twitlib [
>    http://code.google.com/p/twitlib/ ]which has a xml parser and get away
>    with Qtscript dependency for this plugin atleast .

First thing is that the library is GPL. This means that we can't ship it as
part of Marble unless it gets relicensed or additionally licensed to the LGPL
2+.

So if we have to assume that your Marble Plugin would need to link against
this library then we need to create a FindTwitLib cmake script which would
look whether twitlib is available and only in case it is available the twitter
plugin gets compiled.

Effectively it would then always have to be an optional component.

The advantage of implementing your own parser would hence be that we could
enable the compilation of the twitter plugin by default as there are no
additional dependencies and licenses to regard.

In the end it's of course your choice. :-) As twitter is a plugin I could live
with both solutions :-)
For the panoramio plugin it would be a bit different: That's a component that
I'd really like to see to be shipped by default.

That's my thoughts on this topic, hope it helped,

Torsten