[Marble-devel] Socks5 Proxy Patch

Torsten Rahn rahn at kde.org
Sun Apr 5 10:16:37 CEST 2009

On Sunday 05 April 2009 02:47:41 Andrew Manson wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi,

> as it turns out myself and Torsten were working on the same problem at
> the same time ;)

Not quite. I haven't worked on the proxy stuff at all. Harshit Jain created the
proxy authentification. So all credits belong to him (I forgot to add this to
the commit message and realized this only after I pressed enter :-/.  My
fault.)

However Harshit Jain was not able to establish a connection with his patch, so
our impression is that there's still something wrong with it.

> and as you can imagine we came up with different
> solutions. We both were adding Proxy authentication to the Widget, but i
> added the extra functionality of being able to choose between a HTTP
> proxy and a Socks5 proxy.

Cool, great! :-)

> I am not sure if the proxy bug is limited to
> certain types of proxy but i do know that having a Socks5 proxy
> supported will provide an alternative solution to people stuck behind a
> proxy that isn't currently working with the Qt Http Proxy.
>
> I was planning to just commit this patch but as it would be overwriting
> Torsten's stuff completely i thought i should ask first. ;)

I'm not able to test the backend stuff. Regarding the UI part: There's a
spelling error in "Authentificated".
I'd also like to slightly tune the proxy settings dialog layout as the current
suggested version looks a bit crowded as is.

> This patch is tested using a real proxy setup and is fully working.

Well except for that it doesn't seem to work with the KDE version of Marble
anymore :-) Are you able to verify this and maybe fix it?

Could people who are behind a proxy test this and give feedback?

Otherwise: Thanks a lot! The proxy not working for some of us had really been
a major headache.

Thanks,
Torsten