[Marble-devel] RFC: Layer Management Class, Marble Qt-style Painter API, DGML 2.0

Torsten Rahn torsten.rahn at credativ.de
Tue Jan 29 13:14:31 CET 2008

Hi Everybody,

With Marble 0.6 we'd like to introduce several aspects which will make it
easier to extend Marble further and to make it more flexible. Additionally it
will give 3rd party developers a nice API to draw their own features in
Marble and to create their own plugins:

1.) A Layer Management Class which allows for Qt-Plugins to be used for
Layers.

2.) A Qt-style API which will allow you to paint geographic features on the
MarbleWidget with ease.

3.) A revised much more sophisticated version of our map storage format,
called DGML. DGML is basically the integrative file format that takes KML.
GPX and possibly other formats and merges their contents into Marble's map.
Additionally DGML and the other formats are meant to get parsed by the
QXmlStreamReader based geodata library.

Currently we are still at planning stage - well, actually we have started with
some aspects already, like the legend section. But there's a lot of work
ahead.

If you are using Marble or the MarbleWidget to create your own maps then it
would be nice if you could have a look at our proposal. If you feel that
something is missing or wrong, please speak up.

http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdeedu/marble/docs/layermanagement.txt?revision=766731&view=markup

Given that implementing the whole spec is expected to be quite some work, we'd
be happy about anyone volunteering to help out. Much of the work doesn't
require math skills or a deep understanding of Marble code. Most of it just
requires some experience with Qt.

--
 Torsten Rahn

 Tel.: 0 21 61 - 46 43 - 192

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
Hohenzollernstr. 133, 41061 Mönchengladbach
Geschäftsführung: Dr. Michael Meskes, Jörg Folz