[Marble-devel] Problems using Marble in a research project

Mirko Stanisak kde at stanisak.de
Mon Dec 22 00:22:15 CET 2008

Hello,

first, I would like to thank you all for Marble, as standalone application, it
rocks hard, and as component it saved a lot of work (at least for me)!

I'm using Marble in a little application for my diploma thesis. I'm studying
Aerospace Engineering and I'm currently researching how to show status
information regarding Global Navigation Satellite Systems (e.g. GPS) on Air
Traffic Controllers displays (aka radar screens). For this, I've written a
demo application which should look like a radar screen. I used Marble for
this and it works quite well.

Unfortionatly, I did not manage to display an approtiate map yet. Air Traffic
Controllers do not need cities, but other static information like airports,
navaids, fixpoints ... to be displayed. Thus, I tried to create an own map. I
started with the "plain" map, copied it over to ~/.marble/data/maps/earth/
and altered it a bit. I already managed to hide the city names, but I did not
succeed in displaying this "aviation data". Is there a possibility to create
a kml file with several airports, fixpoints etc and to include this in the
map?

My current attempt of the map file is posted over at

http://pastebin.com/m5d501105

Thank you in advance,

Mirko