[Marble-devel] Network handling

Pino Toscano pino at kde.org
Sun Aug 31 00:01:12 CEST 2008

Hello,

> To accomplish that, a first step would be getting rid of HttpFetchFile, in
> favour of making HttpDownloadManager handle directly the HttpJob's; for
> this, a working (hopefully) patch is attached.

This has been committed.

> Second step would be creating a plugin structure, and decouple HttpJob in
> two: the abstract HttpJob and the QHttpHttpJob plugin (of course, still
> making things working after this).

And here it is a first version of this. The attached patch:
- adds a basic interface + abstract class for network plugins
- splits HttpJob into an abstract class (HttpJob) and a "concrete" QHttp
implementation
- adds the plugin skeleton for the QHttp implementation
- changes the HttpDownloadManager to have a single entry point where creating
the HTTP jobs

This patch is working, HTTP downloads work nicely as before; although, a
couple of caveats:
- proxy settings are still totally managed by the MarbleWidget, and
applied "blidly" to all the Qt connections (thus unuseful with a KDE/KIO
implementation). (See my other reply for proxy ideas.)
- there is no "dynamic" plugin loading yet.

About the plugin loading, what should be done about it?
Ideally there should be some plugin manager for network plugins that should
be "persistent" across the whole application run? Maye extend the current
PluginManager to read also network plugins, and store it in the MarbleWidget?
Dunno.

> Then, it comes writing plugins for QNetworkAccessManager and KIO.

... and I have already a working plugin for KIO.

--
Pino Toscano