[Marble-devel] [Patch] Fix includes so digikam gets compiled if marblewidget is installed

Torsten Rahn torsten.rahn at credativ.de
Wed Apr 16 11:17:00 CEST 2008

Hi Jens,

On Wednesday 16 April 2008 06:56:01 Jens-Michael Hoffmann wrote:
> This patch fixes compilation of digikam if marblewidget is installed.

Thanks for fixing this problem that has become a small headache recently.

The problem that we are facing right now is the fact that

- Currently we don't intend to guarantee binary compatibility ("BC") until KDE
4.2.

- However we are working towards it (by d-pointerifying / pimping various
classes) already.

- And we encourage "early adopters" like KWorldClock" and "DigiKam" (which is
meant to be released late this year) to make use of the MarbleWidget already.
Digikam currently uses Marble 0.5.x as a foundation for their integration.

- Marble 0.5.x shipped with lots of headers being installed and some
distributions actually packaged these separately which has probably led
several people to the assumption that we would guarantee binary
compatibility.

- To minimize the harm we currently try to install as few headers as possible
in Marble-SVN (which will become 0.6 for KDE 4.2) and try to d-pointerify
those classes affected.

Laurent, Gilles, Jens-Michael: Do you have any suggestion how to handle this
best?

Torsten

--
 Torsten Rahn

 Tel.: 0 21 61 - 46 43 - 192

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
Hohenzollernstr. 133, 41061 Mönchengladbach
Geschäftsführung: Dr. Michael Meskes, Jörg Folz