[Marble-devel] Fwd: Re: [kde-edu]: Marble 0.5: The Road ahead

Andrew Turner ajturner at highearthorbit.com
Mon Aug 20 14:42:23 CEST 2007

On 8/20/07, Torsten Rahn <torsten.rahn at credativ.de> wrote:

> Just making sure the marble-devel audience hears about it, too:
>
> > Yes just on the subject on what you forgot about the Gps, we'll need a
> > remodeled ui for the gps tracking thing too. Right now we have gps device
> > geoLocation and also i've just implemented ip. address geoLocation and as
> > of yet we don't have a way to choose between them.

I believe you've all seen GeoClue:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/GeoClue

GeoClue is finishing up what could be called version 1, but so far has
only been packaged (afaik) for Maemo. However, the goal is that it is
platform independent.

The point being, instead of maintaining GPS, IP, and implementing
numerous other geolocation methods - it may be worthwhile to see about
using GeoClue - or at least weighing in about what you would like to
see in it to make it useful to Marble.

Andrew

Andrew Turner
ajturner at highearthorbit.com      42.2774N x 83.7611W