Which logging functions/message boxes etc. to use when in kate ?

christoph at cullmann.io christoph at cullmann.io
Fri May 24 20:37:25 BST 2024

On 2024-05-24 19:43, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm unclear which logging functions, message boxes etc. to use when in
> kate.
> I'm aware of
> - qDebug() when to use this ?
> - qcDebug() - when to use this, and what logging categories to use ?

I would use qcDebug for debug output and add a new category for the
plug-in if it has none.

> - utils::showMessage() - this appears in the output tab, right ? So
> it's more
> visible than qcDebug().

I would use showMessage for all user relevant output but not for debug
stuff.

> - KMessageBox - for what errors/warnings/info should I use that ?

I would prefer the less intrusive showMessage for all stuff that need no
confirmation.

> - wasn't there something like passive popup ? Should I use it ? In
> which cases
> ?

That is more or less dead, for messaging from plug-ins I would prefer
showMessage.

> Thanks for some explanations :-)
> Alex

Let's see if others have different opinions.