Trying to use break point in Kate Text Editor

Stuart Elliott stuarte83 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 16:05:09 BST 2023

Good afternoon all,

As the subject states, I am trying to debug a small terminal C program
and am having trouble using Kate's gdb plugin.

Settings.

Debugger gdb is installed in /usr/bin.

The gdb plugin is shown as selected in Kate's Settings/Configure
Kate/Plugins dialog.

"Show Debug View" is shown as selected in Kate's View/Tool Views/ drop
down list.

In the Setting tab of the Debug view :-

(a) Executable: is set to the file to be debugged;

(b) Working Directory: is set to the directory that contains the file to
be debugged;

(c) Arguments: is set to -ggdb;

(d) Redirect IO is selected and an IO tab is shown.

Problem(s)

When I try to set a break point, nothing appears in Kate's text entry
area to indicate that a break point has been set or its location. Also,
when I select Debug/Start Debugging, there is no visual indication that
the system has recognized my input/selection. For example, the cursor in
Kate's text entry area does not scroll to a(n invisible) break point and
then pause, as happens in IDEs

How do I set up Kate such that it :-

(a) presents a visual indication of a break point ?

(b) gives a visual indication that debugging has actually started ?