kate run script in embedded terminal

Živoslav zivoslav at rodokrug.org
Wed Jul 5 05:18:42 BST 2023

Hey, guys,

I'm a developer and I want to switch from microsoft vscode to kate.

I need to set one feature. In external tools I found a tool "run shell
script" which is similar to what I need.

I need run script in the embedded terminal and not run an external
console instance.

In general, I need to map a keyboard shortcut to run the script, or
command in the embedded console.

How do I do this?

Now I work like this:

- I edit the source code of my program in the editor
- I press a hotkey and run one particular script (I called it play.fish)
in the built-in terminal

I edit all the commands during development in this script as needed. It
is a working script. I can run a "make" command from it, I can run a
python or php script from it, I can delete temporary files in it and
then run any command. Terminal is the most useful helper in development.

I wrote a simple extension for vscode that saves the current file and
runs my work script in the terminal.

How to achieve this in kate? The javascript extension has no API for
embedded terminals. I am perhaps able to write an extension in C++.

I managed to achieve this feature by modifying external tools "run shell
script", it works fine, it just always runs the external console and
does not use embedded.

Thank you
Zivoslav