Auto-save

Stefan Riha stefan at sriha.net
Mon Mar 14 10:49:56 GMT 2022

Hi,

I switched from vscode a couple of months ago and I'm quite happy with kate. However, I miss is auto-save which saved me dozens of identical key presses per hour.  Given that auto-save has apparently been a feature request for a decade [1] and not implemented, I assume it will not be implemented for some time.

What I mean by 'auto-save':

Currently I do this:

1) Edit e.g. a python script
2) Save a file with shortcut, e.g. Ctrl-s
3) Switch to a terminal and run the python script

I want to do this

1) Edit e.g. a python script
2) Switch to a terminal and run the python script

without having to press Ctrl-s.

Having no idea about kwrite/kate (or Qt and KDE in general), I can think of the following options to solve my problem:

*) Modifying the source code (difficult)
*) Writing a plugin (don't know if possible/feasible?)
*) automation via a shell script (don't know if possible/feasible?)

I'd prefer the last option (shell script). Do you think this is feasible?

Can I somehow run a background process that would trigger a save-action, e.g. in the event that a *.kate-swp file is created for that file?

[1] https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=102258

Thanks for your help!

Regards, Stefan