Which evolution?

Giovanni giovannicorriga at tiscali.it
Thu Jun 30 18:20:33 BST 2022

Dear Kate Development Team,
I am sending you this email to ask you a question: where is KDE going?
Let me explain. A long time ago a certain college student named Matthias
Ettrich posted an e-mail announcing the birth of KDE. In it he stated
his intent to give life to a desktop under Linux and one of the
objectives was that of the consistency of programs following common
guidelines.

About two decades have passed since that day and KDE has matured as well
as the Qt libraries that are its foundation. Now KDE applications can
work, obviously recompiled, both under Microsoft Windows and Apple Mac
OS X but something has been lost: the much desired consistency of
applications in their UI!

The problem of UI consistency is a problem that arose at the dawn of the
birth of graphic environments. Who remembers Smalltalk? Or the Xerox
Alto? I believe very few. Then Apple arrived and with the Lisa took the
concepts developed by Xerox and put its own. We know how it ended but
its failure generated the Macintosh, the original one, where the
concepts of the Lisa were taken and refined, especially by simplifying
them due to little memory!

Time passes and so did the Macintosh change and what did Microsoft do?
He took a little bit here and a little bit there and created Microsoft
WIndows. I bet some of you like me have known about Windows 3.0 or 3.1.
The PC became cheaper and GUIs became the norm. Then one day, over there
in Finland, a rather thin baby was born, without great pretensions, the
result of the work of a certain Linus Torvalds. The baby quickly grew
and finally received KDE as a gift in 1996. Now we come to our days and
here begins the reason for my emails.

Remember what one of KDE's goals was? Consistency in applications or
never reinvent the wheel. One of the objectives of the UI is to
simplify, better organize, intuitively the user's activity. What is the
purpose of the menu bar? Logically organize user operations. According
to the KDE guidelines, the File menu must manage everything related to
the creation, loading, saving, printing and closing of the application
while the Edit menu must manage all the operations related to the
selection of the text or other within the work area inside the main
window, the View menu for managing what is presented in the main window,
the Settings menu the program settings and finally in the Help menu
which provides aids on the program such as access to help on that
program in addition to accessing information about that program.

Obviously the guidelines for graphical interfaces exist in abundance but
we are obviously interested in those of KDE, those of today's Mac OS X
and Microsoft Windows. I added the last two because KDE also operates
under these two environments. These are the respective links
(https://develop.kde.org/hig/introduction/;
https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/platforms/designing-for-macos/;
https: /
/download.microsoft.com/download/2/4/A/24A81A29-77CF-4AA5-967E-64E42554F21B/UWP%20app%20design%20guidelines%20v1509.pdf).
On the guidelines of Microsoft Windows we draw a painful veil since in
the course of its life it has been turned over several times not to
facilitate the user but to make money! You have to force the user to
have to relearn the use of an application from scratch, otherwise what's
the point?

Now you can explain to me the rationale of creating two new menus such
as Select and Go when logically in the first there are items that fall
under the Edit menu while in the second there are also items that,
logically and in the style of the UI, appear here. also under the Edit
menu? Then there is an API problem. Under KDE KStandardAction covers
some of the actions and it doesn't seem to me that KStandardAction ::
selectAll () or KStandardAction :: deselect () have been moved from that
menu. Yes, there is a problem with the Go menu under KDE but usually the
Goto Line ... or Goto Page ... command in editors ends up under the Edit
menu. But the last treat was putting the Bookmarks menu inside the Go
menu! And here too this clashes with the KDE API, again with
KStandardAction! The addBookmark() and editBookmark() functions ...

I understand that Kate is no longer the application born in origin, just
look at the source code of the distant KDevelop 1.0 with which it has
been linked since its origins, I understand that many functions have
been added but that consistency of the graphical interfaces that was the
goal of does 1996 still exist nowadays? I'll give you some examples that
have left me dumbfounded: Kate, these latest versions; KDevelop starting
from version 4.0; Kexi and the Calligra suite. I'm discussing Kate with
you but KDevelop is, pardon the term, on the edge of decency. If KDE was
to be based on application consistency, KDevelop almost reaches its
limits. With Kexi sia reaches the highest levels, we are at "I wish I
was a Microsoft product"! About two years ago I happened to have to use
one of the latest versions of Microsoft Word, you know the ones with the
Ribbon interface. Do you know what my feeling was trying to figure out
where the print command was which he later found to be in the system
menu? Choking Bill Gates after forcing him to eat banknotes in profusion.

Consider what I wrote as a complaint or complaint from an old computer
enthusiast who started using Linux on a now forgotten Slackware 1.2. To
make a comparison, how would you drive a car where you suddenly
discovered that the steering wheel acts as an accelerator, the left
pedal steers the car to the right and the right the reverse and the
gearbox is reversed. A nice car to drive, don't you think? I end this
email with a memory from the past
(https://kde.org/announcements/1-2-3/1.0/).

Yours sincerely,
Giovanni Corriga.