accumulating projects in kate lead to excessive kate startup time due to git

Elv1313 elv1313 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 20:26:52 BST 2022

Hi,

I just want to say this bug can be a little more annoying when using sshfs.
Most of my $dayjob work is done over `sshfs` because the development
environment is just a remote VM with everything setup properly and exposes
an LSP "server" and ssh. Doing many IO on that is rather expensive (hello
git!). I don't think parallelism would make the situation better. Async is
really the best option here. As for "why sshfs and not kio". That's because
of 2 things. First, kio+yubikey = get_a_popup_for_every_io_operation. That
would be rather invasive to fix (maybe adding some middleware/proxy process
that keeps a persistent ssh connection and Kio connects to that?). Also,
there's a little limitation in Kate LSP implementation. When using Kio, it
adds `fish://totally/wrong/path` to the LSP queries and the "server"
doesn't understand it. The $dayjob provided LSP expects either macOS or
Linux home directory paths and the project name (which it assumes is
sshfs-mounted).