accumulating projects in kate lead to excessive kate startup time due to git

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Sat Jun 18 13:15:42 BST 2022

Hey all,

Kate took ~4s to show its main window on my beefy workstation with lots of
RAM, CPUs and speedy NVME disks. I found this quite odd and wondered about the
reason so I sat down and profiled it. Perf shows a lot of external git
processes running sequentially, which I could also replicate with strace:

```
$ strace -o kate.process.log -f --timestamps -e process kate
$ grep -E "execve.*git" kate.process.log  | wc
    159
```

See also: https://invent.kde.org/-/snippets/2234

The reason, it turns out, was that my kate accumulated a lot of projects, and
all of them got queried for their git status.

I hope that you all agree that this isn't acceptable. The question now becomes
how to resolve this:

a) I never knowingly opened a project in kate, this is all done automatically
in the background. Is it expected that I should manually cleanup the project
list then? Or can this be done automatically, e.g. by marking projects as
unused after some time when we don't open a file in them in the last week or
something like that?

b) Can we query the git status in parallel for all projects, instead of
serially? My machine has 12 cores and 24 threads, and the NVME disk and ram
should also allow this.

Thanks

PS: For now, I manually closed all projects and now have a fast kate startup
once again.

--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de