Search & Replace - split "in current file" into separate plugin/tab

Christoph Cullmann (cullmann.io) christoph at cullmann.io
Fri Jan 14 21:55:38 GMT 2022

On 2022-01-14 22:52, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (I know we had similar discussion a few years ago already).
> I'd like to split the "Search in current file" into a separate
> plugin/tab.
>
> For "in current file", less options would be required.
> All the "advanced" options are not necessary, so also the button to
> toggle
> between options and results is not necessary, and always the results
> would be
> visible.
> The "Search" buttin, the "Use current documents folder" button, the
> mode
> combobox, the "Expand results" button, the "add new search tab" button
> would
> all not be necessary.
> I would suggest that this would always search automatically when the
> search
> text is modified, without maximum file size.
> I would also suggest that it searches automatically when switching to a
> different file, i.e. always the search results for the current search
> string
> in the current file would be visible.
>
> Together with this, I would suggest to remove the "In current file"
> search
> mode from the normal "Search and Replace", and also disable the
> automatic
> search in the current file when typing. To me, this would actually be
> better
> than it is now, since the automatic searching quite often dismissed my
> search
> results, while I actually wanted to keep them.
>
> What do you think ?

I am not sure about this.
This would make the "standard" in document search even more duplicated
with the plugin.
But perhaps others see this differently.

My normal working pattern is:

1) for in document searches just using the search/replace of KTextEditor
view
2) use the Kate level search plugin only for project wide searches

Perhaps others use it more like you, for both use cases.