Lexical Navigation

Waqar Ahmed waqar.17a at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 20:06:53 GMT 2022

Hi,

I don't really do a lot of python so not sure if this will work for you,
but there is a shortcut Ctrl+Alt+down/up which does some kind of scope
jumping. Not sure how well it will work in a python file. For me, it allows
me to jump to a function start / end quickly.

But to really achieve what you want, I guess scripting is the only way
forward at least for now. Our script api is kind of simple, and yeah there
are no semantics available except for comment/string info. But it's still
doable, if you want to try.

Regarding LSP, it's a common misconception that the client has a lot
semantic info available. It doesn't really, the server does and it's the
server that really does all the work, the editor just does what the server
says. I guess if we really try, we can accumulate some semantic info and
then use that for other purposes but not sure if this will scale well or
even if we want to do it.

Lastly, it's unlikely that the external tools will allow moving cursor as
the external tools are mostly meant for simple input ~ process ~ output
tasks. However,  allowing to execute a process via the scripting api is
possible I think, but not implemented.

All in all, I would suggest you to try the scripting api. Atm, all of
Kate's indentation is implemented using the script api.