Building kate as documented on the web page

Dominik Haumann dhaumann at kde.org
Wed Feb 2 21:06:35 GMT 2022

Hi Alex!

https://invent.kde.org/websites/kate-editor-org
This is Kate's website.

The reason why we suggest kdesrc-build is because if you compile Kate, you
likely also need KTextEditor and KSyntaxHighlighting. And the frameworks
cannot be built standalone, since also ecm is typically checked to make
sure all frameworks have the same version.

To avoid user questions all over the time about half baked kate compiles,
kdesrc-build is the only correct answer.

PS: I know that for you it's easy to use cmake directly. But with your
cmake background, you are pretty much above average as much as one could be.

Best regards
Dominik