Fwd: KDE Eco | measurement labs | community meetup Fri. 8 Oct. 13:00 CEST

Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss joseph at kde.org
Mon Oct 4 08:09:36 BST 2021

Hi!

On Saturday, October 2, 2021 5:52:11 PM CEST Christoph Cullmann (cullmann.io)
wrote:
> On 2021-09-27 10:54, Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss wrote:
> > Hello Kate enthusiasts (please CC me to any responses),
> >
> > I would like to personally reach out to the Kate community to invite
> > you to
> > the next KDE Eco meetup (Fri. 8 Oct. 13:00 CEST)! We will meet at the
> >
> > following BigBlueButton room:
> >     https://meet.kde.org/b/jos-l59-2i1-9yt
> >
> > Please see below for the full announcement.
> >
> > In order to make FOSS/KDE software more resource efficient, KDE Eco
> > aims to set
> > up measurement labs and measure the energy consumption of various
> > applications. Given its popularity, *Kate is high on the list of
> > applications
> > to measure*. And once measurements have been done, applying for
> > Germany's
> > Blauer Engel eco-certification is straightforward. This eco-label
> > recognizes
> > environmentally-friendly software design and will differentiate Kate
> > from other
> > text editors, ultimately making it an even more attractive alternative
> > for
> > users.
> >
> > It would be wonderful to have you join the conversation next week!
>
> Hi,
>
> I am not sure I can make it, as this is during my working hours.

If you can join, we'd love to have you there.

> If there is need for help for Kate contributors to make this happen,
> I would appreciate if you can just ping people on this list for help
> with it, thanks!

I will do!

Some general info: We want to make KDE/FOSS pioneers in energy-efficient
software development and to drive the discussion in the wider community.
Currently we are focusing on setting up energy consumption measurement lab(s)
in order to obtain Blauer Engel eco-certification and to bring issues related
to energy efficiency to the forefront. There is also work on researching/
building automation tools to support developers (e.g., CI system to monitor
energy consumption), which will make measurements more integrated in the
software development process. This is all work still in progress, and the more
developers involved, the more opportunities for success!

I will ping the Kate community with updates and ways you can help, and if the
topic interests you don't hesitate to be in touch before then.

I hope to meet some of you on Friday!

Cheers,
Joseph

KDE Eco: Building Energy-Efficient Free Software!

Matrix: https://webchat.kde.org/#/room/#energy-efficiency:kde.org
Forum: https://forum.kde.org/viewforum.php?f=334

---
Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss
BE4FOSS Project and Community Manager (KDE Eco)